As 2014 winds down, I am reflecting on my intentions for 2015. I’ve declared that I’m done struggling with food cravings. After all my holiday treats, I feel a little gross. Starting 5 January, I am leading a 21-day Sugar Detox with a group of friends who want to kick sugar cravings to the curb. Easily. With kindness. With nourishment. This week is “Prep Week.” I’m looking at recipes and planning my “re-entry” from the holidays. I want to make this as easy as possible. And preparation leads to success.
If you’re not entirely sure whether you need a sugar detox, take a moment to answer the following questions from Diane Sanfilippo’s book, The 21-Day Sugar Detox:
- Do you crave sugar all day, every day—or even a few times a week? I’m talking about candy, sweets, chocolate, or lots of fruit.
- Do you crave carbohydrates? These include bread, rice, pasta, pastries, cereal (yes, even oatmeal!), sandwiches, wraps, and breakfast bars.
- Do you include something sweet with every meal or snack?
- Do you experience spikes and dips in your energy levels throughout the day?
- Do you often feel tired upon waking in the morning?
- Do you drink alcoholic beverages daily or multiple times per week?
- Are you trying to burn body fat?
- Are you following a low-fat, whole-grain-rich diet that just isn’t working?
- Does the way you eat leave you feeling unsatisfied, hungry, and grazing on snacks every 2 to 3 hours?
- Do you crave carbs or sugar even though you follow a clean-eating type of lifestyle (including Paleo, primal, low-carb, vegetarian, Weston Price, or “real food”)?
If you’ve answered yes to more than one or two of these questions, you’re a good candidate for this three-week program. Join me and harness the power of the group.